headline photo

Schengen Visa Denied and Rejected Several Times in a Row. A Cover or Appeal Letter Success Story

Wednesday, October 2, 2019

I am the VISA DENIAL QUEEN.

My Story on how I got my Schengen Visa after FOUR applications in LESS THAN TWO MONTHS

Knowing the process in applying for a Schengen visa, you would have bought all your plane and train tickets. This is the risk that my family took. We decided to avail the promo fare to Paris even if we were not guaranteed of Schengen visa.

Observing my personal Schengen visa journey, rejection reasons I received and my cover letters will let you understand and assess what went wrong with my previous applications and how we improved it. These might help you with your visa application in other countries. 

We applied for a multiple entry visa because our itinerary was France, Italy, Vatican, Monaco, and Spain. Since France has no personal interview, we made it as the points of entry and exit and planned to stay mainly there. Our main reason for travel was PURELY TOURISM.

NB: Please do your research as I have no connection to the France Embassy to answer everything about Schengen Visa. I can only answer what I experienced regarding my application. Apply at your own risk.


Hi, everyone!

If you are following my blog, you are pretty well aware that I’ve been denied Japan visa but later approved through an appeal (please check out my blog on
how I reapplied for Japan visa in less than a month and got approved), and now, this happened during our application in France Embassy. Because of this, my family is now calling me: VISA Denial Queen. Well, I was actually the one who thought of it so I will be using it in case of (hopefully NOT) another visa application misadventures. :D 

This blog can also serve as a guide for online freelancers in applying for Schengen visa.


We first applied as a family (save for my mom and my sister residing in Australia) on March 5 through VFS Manila. It is important to organize your documents beforehand. Bring duplicate and original copies with you just in case they look for your document's authenticity.

Since I am a freelancer with no permanent employment, I tried to justify my savings account by enumerating all of my past employments in my cover letter. Aside from the usual requirements for the application, I also tried to justify my status by attaching all of my certificates of employment (COE) from my previous companies, my old ITRs, and my contracts with my current clients. I also attached my business registration and ITRs paid for my professional tax.

After 2 days, my family already got their passports back except mine. I tried to be optimistic but I know it was already a sign that I got denied. Little did I know that my elder sisters were already searching for Plan B and based on their research, there is no prohibition to reapply but the appeal can only be made by writing a letter in French and to send all the documents in France. Since we are already flying in May, the mode of appeal was definitely not an option for us.

France visa appeal procedure list


Come March 12, after a week from the application date, I received an SMS notification and had my eldest sister pick up my passport. Attached on my passport is a "Schengen visa refusal/cancellation of Visa". The reasons were:


#8 the information submitted regarding the justification for the purpose and conditions of the intended stay was not reliable

#9 Your intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained.

I know there is a slim chance of being approved through an appeal or reapplication but we still gave it a try. For my 2nd cover letter, I did not edit anything in substance and attached the same documents as with my 1st cover letter. I also had my freelancing contracts notarized and submitted certified true copies of my COR and the latest annual and quarterly ITRs instead of just submitting photocopies. 

My sisters also sorted out my bank statement but which I was personally confident with the amount therein. Since I am a freelancer, my sisters were eyeing my employment status as the reason for the denial. Since I have no any real property under my name, I decided to attach instead copies of my insurance policies here in the Philippines and other documents to prove my ties here. My sister from Australia also made a sponsorship letter for me. I also attached my dad's letter to convince the Consul to accept my application.




Come April 2nd, I got my denial again. I got the denial letter with the same reasons for the rejection. I planned not to continue my application after the 2nd refusal but my older sisters still wanted me to join them and they sponsored a large part of my visa application fees. My other family members prayed for my application to be approved. Imagine, for all 4 applications, around less than 25,000 pesos was spent including my fare (QC to Makati) going to VFS. Each visa application that time costs less than 6,000 pesos (VFS fee and SMS notification included).

My sisters even thought of having my employment documents certified (red ribbon) by the DFA or to appeal directly in France. They also thought of applying in another Schengen country. We were already on low hopes on being approved on my 3rd try, thus, we decided to think thoroughly first as for our next step.


For my 3rd application, considering that I submitted complete documents for my application, we decided to instead focus on my cover letter. My eldest sister also tapped a visa consulting agency, ARCticket Travel Agency, on what to do with my case. I also attached my Japan Proficiency Exam Test Permit to be held in Manila after our trip to prove that I will be coming back in the Philippines.

As advised by ARCticket, my older sisters and one of my older sister's boyfriend did an extensive editing in my cover letter to make it short and straight forward but without missing a detail that we thought would be important for my reapplication. ARCticket even sent one of their successful appeal letters, and the wordings therein are very elementary and precise. We brainstormed what ideas to write and documents to be removed and included. This time, I also asked my mom to write a letter to convince the Consul to accept my application. I also removed my Internet bill as an attachment.

It was on April 12 when I got a text from VFS that my passport was ready. I thought by this time I was already approved because it only took 5 days from my application to process it. I hurriedly went to VFS but by the time they made me sign a paper before receiving my passport. I already knew I got denied. However, I noticed that this time, there was only 1 reason left for my denial.

#9 Your intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiry of the visa could not be ascertained.


My sisters were considering booking me for a group tour in another Schengen country through ARCticket Travel Agency and to apply in that Embassy instead. However, that plan was too risky since I will be instead applying alone, instead of being backed up by my family for our vacation. We also considered appealing directly in France but based on research, the appeal must be done either personally or through a representative and cannot be done though a letter or online. Also, we found out that the processing of the appeal takes around 3 months. We were so frustrated on what to do next that I just decided that I don’t want to reapply anymore, but my whole family supported me, so, considering we only have a month left before our flight, I told myself to apply one last time.

In my last application, we emphasized that the denial has a sole reason left. We also made my cover letter as simple as possible.

We’ve put therein that my younger sister became a scholar of a University in Japan, while my other sister is already residing in Australia. With my only eldest sister working full-time as a lawyer, I’m the only one who takes care of my parents, hence, decided to work from home. I want to establish my intention to return with my parents through this. I also mentioned my travel history and still had my freelancing contracts notarized. This time, I did not declare any sponsor and instead of my mom and dad's separate letters, they created a single letter to convince the Consul to accept my application. I also removed my dad’s check-up slips but still submitted photocopies of my certified true copies of ITRs and COR.

Overall, I submitted a detailed yet simple letter. I did stick to the same reasons. You will notice that I removed a lot of documents from my second to the final application letter.

It was on May 8, 2019, and my mom decided to instead get my passport on my behalf because she thought that if my visa application will be denied again, I might get hit by a car, truck or any other vehicle due to my sadness and recklessly crossing roads unattentively. By the time I knew my mom already got my passport, she was not answering all my calls. I was on the verge of depression that she just can’t say the bad news right away. It was already 5PM and I had accepted my fate that I will not be with them in the Europe trip. I was planning maybe to just go to ASEAN countries or to Mongolia alone. My eldest sister told me that I may join her trip to Japan next year if I cannot go to Europe.

Finally, my mom told me I got denied and I told my sisters about my denial so they could manage their bookings without me this time. Upon coming home, she sadly told me again that I got denied and gave me my passport. I didn't even look at my passport. I did not cry when I was applying several times but, on that day, I cried silently because I thought I was not able to convince the France Embassy enough of my livelihood and my intention to return to the Philippines. What made worst is the efforts exerted were inutile.

After maybe around an hour to two hours, my mom told me to check my passport. I got pranked by my mom! There's now Schengen Visa on my passport! 

Despite being pranked by my mom and hated her for a few minutes, I was happy that not only mine but my family's efforts especially my eldest sister’s who arranged most of my documents, were not put in vain.

I can now see the most popular and historical places in Europe with a condition that I will report to them within 7 days from the day I get back to the Philippines. I am the only one in the family who received this. I guess the Consul wants to make sure he will not regret his decision.

How to report to France embassy after return

Despite all the hassles of securing all the needed documents, time, effort and money, we all pushed this through because of our dad. He wants to see Europe especially Monaco. He shared stories of how he wants to see the Colosseum, Vatican, Spain (where my dad's ancestors lived) and the Eiffel Tower.   

He is already old and while he is a bit strong and still has eyesight, we all planned to save money for us to travel together in Europe.  My family wants all of us to travel together.  It does not need to be too expensive to travel to Europe. My eldest sister did the DIY Europe travel so we can travel more and save money. If we get travel tour packages, my parents will surely not catch up with the strict travel group schedule. 

I even read articles where solo travelers spent 50,000-60,000 pesos each in traveling to some European countries including dining in decent restaurants and they were not in a rush. These prices are cheap considering Europe travel including airfare are so expensive like 100,000 - 150,000 pesos per person even more if they want a luxurious trip. Since we have senior citizens, we have to spend a bit more on transportation and took taxis during the entire trip. My family brought a walker for my dad so he can still see the places in case we have to walk far continuously. 

With what happened to me, here are my pieces of advice:

1. Apply 3 months before the travel date so that in case you receive a visa refusal, you can apply again and have a bigger chance of winning! What I like about them is refused applicants don't have to wait for 6 months or several months to apply again. If on budget and still denied, you can form a Plan B of your travel to another country.

2. Use correct basic or elementary English in your cover letter. This was my first mistake. I tried to justify so much that I ended up making a 3-page cover letter for my 1st application. French embassy wants cover letters to be short but precise.

3. It is not advisable to include your previous Certificates of Employment and tax returns with them. On my first application, I included my previous CoEs and ITRs. After my rejection, I asked for comments through online forums and they advised me that those documents are not relevant and consuls will only get confused.

4. It does not hurt to inquire to travel agencies. After my second visa rejection, I searched for a list of legit travel agencies who also have visa consultation services. Luckily, when my eldest sister (she's also the one who wrote my appeal letter to Japan Embassy) inquired via Fb messenger,
Arcticket Visa Assistance and Travel Agency(Note, same with my Japan visa appeal blog entry, I am not paid to promote this travel agency. But I wish I am paid like an influencer. Please make me your brand ambassadress! ^^ Just kidding.)  assessed my cover letter via e-mail and made advices for free! Update: This is a very kind gesture from them!

Please don't lose hope. Check out that agency! They will really help you genuinely.

Be careful of fake agencies. Just click this link so you are sure they are the real agency I communicated with. 

5. Do not use complicated charts and data like: I don't have a job and it is hard to apply for business because of blah blah Index by the government.  They will surely not waste their time to research and understand the official one-page short report you provided.

6. This tip is for online freelancers. I suggest having a complete LinkedIn profile and an online portfolio website. I put my freelancing business letterhead in my cover letter.  No graphic design skills? You do not need to hire a logo/graphic designer. I just made my own letterhead in MS Word.


Bring your certified true copies of the latest COR (Certificate of Registration), annual and quarterly Income Tax Returns (ITRs). To get certified true copies, photocopy your ITRs, go to BIR to have these certified, then pay a fee. In my RDO, I paid around 300 pesos for COR, 1701 and 2551Q ITRs.

Ask your client/clients to send you a letter where it states that they are aware of your vacation and they need you to come back to work after that, as advised by my fellow freelancer who I just inquired via FB messenger. 

Here's mine:







Try to search your client's business using the Business ID, etc. and see what info will appear and if the source is a reliable website.

The officer on VFS Manila wondered why I don't have a DTI permit, I explained that my BIR RDO does not require me to have a DTI permit. Actually, my RDO doesn't need a DTI permit for me to register as a self-employed professional taxpayer. After my explanation, he wrote the details on one of my documents.

7. Freelancer or not, if you will present a contract, get it notarized. It is not advisable to have these red-ribboned because consuls might think that you are completing the requirements for a job abroad as advised by Arcticket.

8. Aside from highlighting the hotel names and dates, highlight how many rooms and occupants. I did these so they can understand that we are many and will be travelling as a family.

9. No need to notarize the front pages of your insurance policies What I instead did was to include a page or part of the brochure that proves that the policies can be used only here in the Philippines.

10. Some said it is not advisable to appeal or submit a new application to other EU Schengen embassies. The applicant might be rejected since they consider these as visa shopping.

Oh, a piece of bonus advice if you travel with your family or with groups:

Submit your documents as if you will be evaluated alone not as a group. You will be assessed individually by the Consul (according to some travel agency hearsays) meaning if you travel together with family or friends, your application will be assessed by Consul A while your dad's application will be assessed by Consul B.

Just my observation: We all applied together on the first application and noticed that only one Consul signed on their visas.  That Consul's name did not appear on my applications and my Schengen visa ever.



On my Schengen visa refusal letters (pic above), my second and third application was signed by the Chief Consul unlike with the first one that was signed by a Premiere Consul.

I don't know the whole visa approval process but it might be that the Premiere Consul for my 2nd and 3rd application or maybe until 4th, gave me a chance and forwarded my application to the Chief Consul.

The same Chief Consul is the one who signed my Schengen Visa.

Okay, end of my observation.

Two days after I went back to the Philippines, I sent an email where I listed my Schengen travel countries and dates. I attached in the same email my low-quality Europe stamps in my passport and Schengen visa pics. I also included a link to my Google Drive if they want the original high-quality photos for reference. The reason is the French Embassy does not accept large file sizes.

I planned to go to VFS Manila just in case there's no response from them. Fortunately, they replied and confirmed.

Anyway,
we enjoyed our Europe trip and was able to visit these beautiful places as a family!






I want to see comments soon whether about your successful application, guide, tips, observations or anything about Europe travel.

For learning French, you can try this




Thanks for reading! :)

0 comments: