headline photo

Homemade paper money box

Friday, February 21, 2014


How I came to have a paper money box? (alternative to piggy bank or coin bank for paper money or bank notes)


Since the viral post of kuripot pinay's P100 peso challenge this 2014, I wanted to do this challenge but since I am not a big salary earner and I have to diversify my savings including putting portions in the stock market, share capital of a cooperative, banks and mini insurance, I opted for the other one, the P20 peso challenge shared by user minimum compliance from wordpress.

Our bedroom is not easily invaded by strangers and I wanted to buy a coin bank for my chosen challenge. I am strict regarding to my savings so I went to trinoma and bought a choco teddy coin bank. Piggy banks are too mainstream lol! but the truth is, it is the cutest coin bank within my budget. I don't like to buy a coin bank figurine resulting to destroying it at the end of the year. I want a reusable coin bank. I decided to have the head portion of this teddy for my paper money bills and the lower portion for my coins.

I forgot the price, I think it's Php 200+
Every time I receive a new and crisp bank note a.k.a. new paper money, I want to set it aside but I cannot do this because of fearing that it might be lost if I put it on a cabinet and in-between pages of books. If I put it on a wallet, it will fold.

I searched the world wide web for finding products and solutions for this but to no avail, I just got dismayed coming to the point that I almost gave up on saving and keeping those new bills. While watching TV, an idea popped out of my mind. I remembered our old wallet boxes inside the cabinet. I searched for these and these were still durable.

In this post, I will teach you on how to make a paper money box. Homemade ones will not only save money but also save the environment by just recycling old materials.

For brief instructions, I assume that you know how to wrap gifts and put plastic covers on books.

1) Choose an empty durable box that fits all your paper bills.


 2) Remove all the dirt from the box and close it. Put tape on the edges.


3) Cover the box by using tape or glue. You can use old papers, magazines or gift wrappers for your design. You can wrap or paste pictures on it. 

Remember, the box must be in horizontal form so you can cut the topmost portion later for inserting the money, so be careful for your decision on the design.


 4) Cover it with a single layer of plastic cover. The thicker the plastic cover material is, the better.


5) Position and mark the topmost portion of the box with your paper bill and a pen.


 6) Cut it through using cutter or knife. You may use a ruler for an accurate straight line. After that, you can cut the excess portions or tape the edges for a neater look. Avoid having a wider and longer cut so the money will not fall easily when turned upside down.


7) Voila! We now have the paper money box or you can call it paper money bank, paper bills box or whatever you like as long as the purpose is to have a counterpart for a coin bank.

If you reached the end of your designated saving period and you are eager to take the money, just cut the left or right side portion and cover it again so you can use the box all over again.




Good luck with your savings!

0 comments: